Convenience Store News

Consumer Insights Guide 2017

Issue link: http://magazine.csnews.com/i/783924

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 20 of 27

WWW.CSNEWS.COM | FEBRUARY 2017 | Guide to Consumer Insights 63 B eer consumers are proof that there is power in small numbers. Roughly one in five shoppers (24.7 percent) purchased a beer/malt bever- age from a convenience store in the past month — slightly higher among men (29.1 percent) and millennials aged 25 to 34 (31 percent). While those percentages may seem low compared to other mainstay convenience-channel categories, beer packs a punch when it comes to basket ring. In the past month, purchasers spent an average of $37.89 on the category's offerings in c-stores, accord- ing to CSNews' 2017 Realities of the Aisle research. This is especially impressive when considering that of the c-store shoppers who picked up something from the beer cave/cooler in the past month, roughly half indicated they did so just once or twice during the period. While the highest percentage spent between was $10 and $14.99 (17.9 percent), a notable amount (11.9 percent) was spent between $50 and $99.99. Higher beer spend- ing is most prevalent among shop- pers aged 25-34 (14.4 percent), 55-plus (13.1 percent), and 35-44 (12.8 percent). Convenience store retailers must be vigilant, however, as they could watch those dollars slip through their fingers as consumers turn to other retail channels for their beer buys. Shoppers gravitate toward supermar- kets (62.3 percent), supercenters (53.5 percent), and liquor/package stores (40.1 percent) when not buying beer at a convenience store. — Melissa Kress BY REGION: TOTAL NORTHEAST MIDWEST SOUTH WEST (Base) (329) (46)* (81) (130) (72) Purchase at other channels (net) 93.6% 91.3% 91.4% 94.6% 95.8% Supermarket 62.3% 63.0% 61.7% 57.7% 70.8% Supercenter (Walmart, Target, etc.) 53.5% 45.7% 53.1% 56.9% 52.8% Liquor/package store 40.1% 37.0% 44.4% 38.5% 40.3% Wholesale club 19.1% 32.6% 9.9% 13.1% 31.9% Drugstore 11.6% 15.2% 14.8% 9.2% 9.7% Dollar store 5.2% 6.5% 3.7% 6.2% 4.2% Online grocer (Amazon Fresh, Peapod, etc.) 2.4% 6.5% 2.5% 2.3% 0.0% Other 0.3% 0.0% 1.2% 0.0% 0.0% Only purchase at a convenience store 6.4% 8.7% 8.6% 5.4% 4.2% *Caution: Small base Base: Purchased beer or malt beverages at a c-store in the past month Source: Convenience Store News Market Research, 2017 In an average month, where else do you purchase beer? BY AGE: TOTAL 18-24 25-34 35-44 45-54 55+ (Base) (329) (27)* (83) (79) (64) (76) Less than $5 3.0% 3.7% 2.4% 2.5% 3.1% 3.9% $5 - $9.99 9.1 7.4 8.4 6.3 7.8 14.5 $10 - $14.99 17.9 7.4 16.9 24.1 15.6 18.4 $15 - $19.99 10.3 22.2 7.2 10.1 9.4 10.5 $20 - $24.99 13.7 11.1 14.5 15.2 12.5 13.2 $25 - $29.99 8.5 7.4 9.6 7.6 9.4 7.9 $30 - $34.99 7.6 7.4 7.2 7.6 9.4 6.6 $35 - $49.99 10.0 18.5 10.8 10.1 11.0 5.2 $50 - $99.99 11.9 3.7 14.4 12.8 9.5 13.1 $100 or more 7.9 11.1 8.4 3.8 12.5 6.6 Mean $37.89 $36.92 $40.13 $28.52 $38.54 $35.89 Median $21.83 $21.88 $21.70 $20.50 $20.90 $25.20 *Caution: Small base Base: Purchased beer or malt beverages at a c-store in the past month Source: Convenience Store News Market Research, 2017 Approximately how much did you spend in the past month on beer at a convenience store? Beer FREQUENT VS. INFREQUENT SHOPPERS (Per Month) FREQUENT INFREQUENT C-STORE SHOPPER C-STORE SHOPPER % who purchase beer 30.9% 13.6% # of times 5.28 2.15 Avg. $ spent $38.41 $35.78 Frequent defined as daily or weekly shopper. Source: Convenience Store News Market Research, 2017

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of Convenience Store News - Consumer Insights Guide 2017